Cannabis 101

Frequently asked questions about cannabis usage and handling

An adult (18+) in Alberta is legally allowed to possess up to 30 grams of legally produced dried-cannabis (or the equivalent volume in other forms).

The Government of Canada has developed ratios for other cannabis products that can be used to determine a possession limit for those products.

One (1) gram of dried cannabis is equivalent to:

  • 5 g of fresh cannabis
  • 15 g of edible product
  • 70 g of liquid product
  • 0.25 g of concentrates (solid or liquid)
  • 1 cannabis plant seed

From province to province, and different municipality’s, the laws on cannabis consumption vary. Be sure to check your city or town’s government website for specific bylaws.

According to the Government for the city of Edmonton, here are some details on where you can and where you can’t consume:

Your Home


In your own home and yard. It’s important to know, however, that property owners, landlords, condo boards and rental companies can further restrict the smoking and growing of cannabis on their properties and common areas.



On some sidewalks in Edmonton, except as outlined below.


Within 10 metres from a bus stop or the doorway, window or air intake of a building or patio.

On a patio.



Just like alcohol, you cannot consume in a vehicle. This includes public vehicles like buses, taxis and LRT.


In a vehicle being used as a temporary residence, such as a parked RV.

If transporting cannabis in a vehicle, cannabis will need to be contained in closed packaging and out of reach of the driver and any other occupants of the vehicle.

Festivals and Events


At some festivals and public events, but only in designated areas. Signage will indicate their location. Please check each event or festival’s website for more information about their designated smoking areas.

Public Spaces, Parkland and Commercial Buildings


In some parks and trails in Edmonton, except as outlined below.


When the park contains:

  • A playground
  • A sports field
  • A skate park or bicycle park
  • An outdoor theatre
  • An outdoor pool or water spray park
  • A seasonal skating rink
  • An off-leash area

On or within any:

  • Hospital property
  • School property
  • Child care facility property
  • City-owned golf course (Note: tobacco smoking is allowed, but only in designated areas)
  • Cemetery
  • Ski hill
  • Bus terminal or light rail transit platform


  • Sir Winston Churchill Square
  • Fort Edmonton Park
  • The John Janzen Nature Centre
  • The Edmonton Valley Zoo
  • The Muttart Conservatory
  • William Hawrelak Park

Within an area designated as a no smoking area for cannabis.

Inside any building, including bus shelters, LRT stations and cannabis retail stores.


For more details please check out the City of Edmonton’s Official Cannabis Rules.

In Canada, medical use of cannabis is legal if documentation is provided by specific healthcare practitioners.

  • Cannabis should always be stored in a locked area out of sight and reach of children and teens. Keep the product in the original packaging which is marked with the universal sign for cannabis.
  • What happens if a child eats or drinks cannabis unintentionally?
    • Cannabis can make children very sick. If they eat or drink any cannabis products call the Poison and Drug information Service (PADIS) at 1-800-332-1414. PADIS can be reached 24 hours a day. If you have any reason to believe that your child has been exposed to cannabis, call PADIS.
    • In other areas that have legalized cannabis, the rates of poisonings from cannabis have gone up. Remember that children can be poisoned from eating cannabis, papers or other residues.
    • Pets are also at risk of poisonings. Call your vet if your pet eats or drinks any cannabis products or substances related to your personal cannabis consumption (butts, papers, residues, etc.).
  • Within Canada, you are allowed to transport cannabis in a vehicle, but it must be secured in closed packaging and not within reach of the driver or occupants.
  • Travelling with recreational cannabis is allowed within Canada and its provinces, provided it was purchased from a provincially licensed retailer. However, international travel with non-medicinal cannabis is not allowed regardless of your destination.
  • Tourists who purchase recreational cannabis in Canada are not allowed to take it across federal borders.
  • Carrying any cannabis or cannabis products (legal or illegal) across Canada’s borders is a serious criminal offence, with individuals convicted of engaging in such activities liable for prosecution.

Alberta Health Services offers free counselling through their help line, available 24/7 at 1-866-332-2322

Talk to your health care practitioner, or contact Health Link at 811 for medical advice.

Just looking for information?

Choose from the options below.